In the game Chrono Cross, the swallow is a long pole with two stylized blades on each end. The blades are often curved, but not always. However, it's not just a double ended spear. Serge is the only user of this weapon.

also called deglutition, the act of passing food from the mouth, by way of the pharynx (or throat) and esophagus, to the stomach. Three stages are involved in swallowing food.

The first begins in the mouth. There, food is mixed with saliva for lubrication and placed on the back of the tongue. The mouth closes, and the soft portion of the roof of the mouth (soft palate) rises so that the passageway between the nasal and oral cavities is closed off. The tongue rolls backward, propelling food into the oral pharynx, a chamber behind the mouth that functions to transport food and air.

Once food enters the pharynx, the second stage of swallowing begins. Respiration is temporarily inhibited as the larynx, or voice box, rises to close the glottis (the opening to the air passage). Pressure within the mouth and pharynx pushes food toward the esophagus. At the beginning of the esophagus there is a muscular constrictor, the upper esophageal sphincter, which relaxes and opens when food approaches. Food passes from the pharynx into the esophagus; the upper esophageal sphincter then immediately closes, preventing flow of food back into the mouth.

Once food is in the esophagus, the final phase of swallowing begins. The larynx lowers, the glottis opens, and breathing resumes. From the time food leaves the mouth until it passes the upper sphincter, only about one second of time elapses, during which all these body mechanisms spontaneously occur. After passing the upper sphincter, movements in the esophagus carry food to the stomach. Rhythmic muscular contractions (peristaltic waves) and pressure within the esophagus push the food downward. Folds in the esophageal wall stretch out as materials pass by them and again contract once they have passed. At the lower end of the esophagus, the lower esophageal sphincter relaxes and food enters the stomach; the sphincter then closes again to prevent reflux of gastric juices and food materials.
Swallows are songbirds best known for their uniquely shaped tail feathers but not all swallows have the split tail. Those that do split into 2 forks with longer feathers on the edges. Swallows are members of the family Hirundinidae.

Swallows are well known as prodigious insect eaters and acrobatic flyers. They combine these 2 attributes as they catch insects while on wing. This means they swoop and dive and make turns on a dime.

Another fun fact about swallows is that they share a close association to humans. Barn Swallows can live elsewhere but seem to prefer big old barns or other buildings with open doors and rough jousts as nesting sites. Purple martins (a type of swallow) are, almost if not totally, dependent on man made housing in North America. They live in colonies and loyally return to their same “apartments” each year. You may have observed large birdhouses on tall flag poles with multiple birdie apartments or clusters of gourds suspended from trees which are meant to attract Purple Martins. Puple Martins prefer to nest in colonies. Slightly older birds lead the way for the younger crowd.

When I mowed my lawn today I was accompanied by about 6 swallows, I think they were purple martins. They swooped down just in front of the mower, grabbed a fleeing insect on wing and swirled away, only to return in moments. It was amazing. I've never seen them up close before. They are so beautiful. A purple martin house will be on my birthday wish list this year.
I've realized these were some other type of swallow, not purple martins as they have light bellies with some orange tinge. Purple Martins are the only swallow that is totally dark featured throughout. I think my swallows must be either barn swallows or tree swallows, as there are plenty of both barns and trees around here.
"My" swallows must have been migrating, they stuck around a few weeks then we didn't see them again.

Swal"low (?), n. [OE. swalowe, AS. swalewe, swealwe; akin to D. zwaluw, OHG. swalawa, G. schwalbe, Icel. & Sw. svala, Dan. svale.]

1. Zool.

Any one of numerous species of passerine birds of the family Hirundinidae, especially one of those species in which the tail is deeply forked. They have long, pointed wings, and are noted for the swiftness and gracefulness of their flight.

⇒ The most common North American species are the barn swallow (see under Barn), the cliff, or eaves, swallow (see under Cliff), the white-bellied, or tree, swallow (Tachycineta bicolor), and the bank swallow (see under Bank). The common European swallow (Chelidon rustica), and the window swallow, or martin (Chelidon urbica), are familiar species.

2. Zool.

Any one of numerous species of swifts which resemble the true swallows in form and habits, as the common American chimney swallow, or swift.

3. Naut.

The aperture in a block through which the rope reeves.

Ham. Nav. Encyc.

Swallow plover Zool., any one of several species of fork-tailed ploverlike birds of the genus Glareola, as G. orientalis of India; a pratincole. -- Swallow shrike Zool., any one of several species of East Indian and Asiatic birds of the family Artamiidae, allied to the shrikes but similar to swallows in appearance and habits. The ashy swallow shrike (Artamus fuscus) is common in India. -- Swallow warbler Zool., any one of numerous species of East Indian and Australian singing birds of the genus Dicaeum. They are allied to the honeysuckers.

 

© Webster 1913.


Swal"low (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Swallowed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Swallowing.] [OE. swolewen, swolwen, swolhen, AS. swelgan; akin to D. zwelgen, OHG. swelahan, swelgan, G. schwelgen to feast, to revel, Icel. svelgia to swallow, SW. svalja, Dan. svaelge. Cf. Groundsel a plant.]

1.

To take into the stomach; to receive through the gullet, or esophagus, into the stomach; as, to swallow food or drink.

As if I had swallowed snowballs for pills. Shak.

2.

To draw into an abyss or gulf; to ingulf; to absorb -- usually followed by up.

Milton.

The earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses. Num. xvi. 32.

3.

To receive or embrace, as opinions or belief, without examination or scruple; to receive implicitly.

Though that story . . . be not so readily swallowed. Sir T. Browne.

4.

To engross; to appropriate; -- usually with up.

Homer excels . . . in this, that he swallowed up the honor of those who succeeded him. Pope.

5.

To occupy; to take up; to employ.

The necessary provision of the life swallows the greatest part of their time. Locke.

6.

To seize and waste; to exhaust; to consume.

Corruption swallowed what the liberal hand Of bounty scattered. Thomson.

7.

To retract; to recant; as, to swallow one's opinions.

"Swallowed his vows whole."

Shak.

8.

To put up with; to bear patiently or without retaliation; as, to swallow an affront or insult.

Syn. -- To absorb; imbibe; ingulf; engross; consume. See Absorb.

 

© Webster 1913.


Swal"low, v. i.

To perform the act of swallowing; as, his cold is so severe he is unable to swallow.

 

© Webster 1913.


Swal"low, n.

1.

The act of swallowing.

2.

The gullet, or esophagus; the throat.

3.

Taste; relish; inclination; liking.

[Colloq.]

I have no swallow for it. Massinger.

4.

Capacity for swallowing; voracity.

There being nothing too gross for the swallow of political rancor. Prof. Wilson.

5.

As much as is, or can be, swallowed at once; as, a swallow of water.

6.

That which ingulfs; a whirlpool.

[Obs.]

Fabyan.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.