Dipped candles (also known as 'tapers' or 'tapered candles') are the ones that we classically think of when we picture a candle - long, slender candles. These also form the basis of many other types of candles.

Dipped candles are often dipped in pairs with a long wick in an upside-down 'U' shape. This allows a person to make more candles at once (and also has other uses for more interesting candle types).

(the following instructions will make approximately 6 candles 10 inches tall and ~1/2 in diameter)

  1. Collect following items for use:
  2. Heat wax in a double boiler (saucepan and dipping can) to 160F and maintain that heat.
  3. Upon complete melting of the wax, add the dye.
  4. Dip each pair of wicks (upside-down U shape) in wax for about 3 seconds
  5. Allow to each pair to cool for 1 - 4 minutes (depending on room temperature)
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until candles are of desired thickness.
  7. Heat up wax to 180F
  8. Give each candle a 3 second dip and allow to cool for about 3 minutes.
    The purpose of this is to give a clean and smooth surface.
  9. Trip base of wax with a sharp knife - be careful to avoid fingerprints in the finish.

If the candles that are produced are 'lumpy' then the wax is too cool.

Larger numbers of candles can be dipped at a single time with the use of a rack or hoop (a bent out of shape coat hanger works well for this). Wicks should be spaced about 3 candle diameters apart to give them proper room to grow. Be aware that the frame will be substantially heavier as the candles grow.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.