A large fraction of novelty candles are part of the 'chunk candle' type where different colored wax chunks are embedded inside of a candle. There are two different methods that can be used with the chunk candles which produce different effects.

Most often, the chunks have a higher melting point (about 140 F) than the wax being poured in. These chunks can be used to emulate ice-cubes in a beverage, where it is important for the colors not to bleed into one another. Alternatively, white chunks can be used in a candle with colored wax. One of the more impressive candles of this type has white chunks with several colors of wax (rainbow) blending into each other.

If the chunks have a lower melting point than the wax being poured in (for example 127 F wax), then the colors will bleed as the wax chunks re-melt into the wax. With molds that have sharp corners (such as stars), these can create dramatic bleeding. The corners and edges give more edge for these to be seen.

Another approach to use to get splashes of colors is to add some granulated candle wax that has been colored. After pouring the candle, add some granulated wax to specific regions in the mold. The wax will melt, but the colors stay relatively in place.

To make candle chunks, use a brownie baking tin as a 'mold' and allow the wax to cool to the point where it is still cuttable with a knife. At this point, cut the wax up into the chunks (make the divisions between the chunks large enough to get a fork or similar object between). Wait for the wax to then cool fully and then pop the wax chunks out. Initially adding mold release (such as Kemamide) will aid in getting the chunks out. Realize that in the initial cutting of the wax, you will score the baking tin - do not use a glass baking pan.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.