When my son was about 12, a friend called and asked if he could babysit.

I froze up, silent.

He got it very quickly. "Um, we often come home really late, staying out until 3 am, so would it be ok if he stayed the night and we brought him home in the morning?"

"Yes," I said, with relief.

What was I worrying about? Alcohol. I knew he and his wife drank far more than I approved of and the thought of them driving my son home drunk was NOT ok. I think that sometimes they took a taxi home. I hope so. I suppose they could send my son home in a taxi, but by having him stay the night, he would sleep too. Their children were five and six years younger than my son.

So I would take my son there, or they would pick him up, and he'd go to sleep when the kids did. I don't know how late my son and the kids stayed up in that house. I do know the household reminded me of my childhood home, where the adults stayed up and partied. I did not party in high school at all. I didn't want to. I was not interested in drinking alcohol illicitly. I could perfectly easily have drunk it at home: my parents were too tuned out by then to notice. I knew what people were like when drunk: why would I explore that with my peers? My father would break things in the house when he fell, there were burn marks in the floor from cigarettes, my parents would scream at each other at 1 am. I kept my head down and did very very well at school: I wanted out, even though it was not conscious. I loved my parents. Home was chaos and I escaped into books and schoolwork.

Parents need to think carefully about babysitting. Do they know the family? Do they need to drive their child to the house and pick them up? Once I went to babysit and the family had two enormous St. Bernards. The male growled at me and the owner made him sit. He told the dog I was ok. The owner said, "Don't worry, he will attack anyone who tries to get in the house." I was quite terrified of the dogs, and the male trailed enormous strings of drool into my lap. That night at 1 am I found Monty Python on cable and wondered if I'd wandered into another universe. We didn't have cable, so it was surreal. I didn't tell my parents about any of it. These were not people we knew: friends of friends.

Parents need to be careful as well to tell teens that adults can behave inappropriately and that a normally nice adult might behave badly when drunk. Many babysitting friends told me about the father of the kids they were sitting making sexual comments or putting a hand on their knee driving them home. This is not ok and teens need to be warned. They also should be warned about signs of drinking and inebriation and have taxi money or be able to call for a ride if they are not comfortable with the adult driving them home. And if the adult makes any sort of inappropriate remark or touch, they should NOT babysit there again ever. I would tell the offending adult why, though I think that would often get an angry or denial reaction.

I have various friends with 9 year olds. One parent made a comment that they don't want their children to know anything bad about the world until they are ten. Another didn't want their child to know what the term domestic violence meant.

I disagree. I might respond saying, "If your mother doesn't want me to discuss that, then we will leave for her to talk to you about it later."

How can we shelter our children with the magical childhood until ten and then send them to babysit at twelve? How can they recognize an adult is impaired or inappropriate behavior unless we talk about it? I have been asking adult smokers what age they started smoking for years: most of my older men started at age 9. The other day a woman said she'd tried cigarettes by age 7. Our children are not stupid, they hear things, they try to puzzle it out with each other: they deserve honesty from the start.

For a small child, that may mean a very simple explanation. My mother died of cancer when my daughter was two years and six months. By age four she had processed it to where she asked me "How old was grandmother Helen when she died?" I said that MY grandmother was 92 when she died, but grandmother Helen was 62. She asked, "How old are YOU?" I said, "I am forty. I hope to live as long as my grandmother, but none of us know how long we will live." She studied me for a while and then went off.

They say that small children can't process death. Clearly my daughter could! Maybe children can't because we do not talk to them about it. We aren't respectful. We try to hide all the dark things in the world, we try to keep them in a fairy tale. I feel angry on behalf of our children. To me it feels like parents lie: they will not tell their children what is going on. It's not okay. And how can they handle the dark if no one will discuss it until they are ten?

For Horrorquest

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.