In Japan, The Penis Mightier Than The Sword® (剣よりも強いペニス) was a popular line of condoms produced during the 1970s. Manufactured by Sagami Rubber Industries Co., Ltd. and marketed primarily to young adults, the line was discontinued in 1981 after the introduction of the Godzilla Thunder Penis® (ゴジラサンダーペニス) line that was meant to replace it.

TPMTTS was the first Japanese condom to feature Sagami's patented "fast fun applicator", a packaging gimmick that purportedly allowed the user to remove the wrapper and put the condom on using just one hand. Television commercials that ran frequently on national networks between 1969 and 1977 featured animations of young men demonstrating the process on their rainbow-colored and sparkling erections, complete with a dramatic sweeping arm motion and a knowing wink. Surveys conducted in the mid-1970s revealed it to be the most recognized condom line amongst males aged 16-24, and samples were distributed to high schools in Tokyo and Okinawa for many years at the beginning of the school term. The product was available in most drug and convenience stores across the country as well as in vending machines, and was priced competitively with other top-selling brands.

In targeting the teen market, TPMTTS was produced in a variety of colors and styles, and was the first Japanese condom available in "bubble gum" flavor. At the peak of its popularity during late 1973, it was the second best-selling condom nationwide, and briefly penetrated the market in Taiwan. When sales began to go soft in 1978, a new advertising campaign was launched which promoted the line as "best for anal sex", but this did little to improve its dwindling market share when competing with Okamoto Industries' new Tiger Penis Semen Tsunami® (タイガーペニス精液津波) line of condoms introduced the previous year. An unsuccessful cross-marketing venture with Sanrio Company, Ltd. for their Hello Kitty® brand that launched in 1980 ran for six months just prior to the line being discontinued.

There was reportedly some discussion amongst the Sagami board of directors in 1996 to bring back the line as a "retro" brand appealing to customer nostalgia, but market research determined that this would not have been profitable when factoring in the stiff competition faced at that time. The line is still popular amongst collectors of vintage Japanese condoms, sex toys, and adult products.

All trademarks are property of their respective owners. Can you see I am serious?
LieQuest 2024: A Lie Quest of Mythologically Discordian Proportions

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.