An individual, who is usually hired to take care of an individual's (owner's) heavy work.

Often used to enforce one's racketeering, and extortion with muscle and threat of physical harm.

compiled overview of the 80ton Thug 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



"the best defense is a strong offense."

Originally introduced in 2572 by Maltex as a replacement for the Warhammer, the THG-10E Thug admirably fulfilled the role of an all-purpose assault 'Mech. Maltex produced Thugs until 2835, when their primary plant was destroyed. Since then, Earthwerks started production of the new 11E under license from Maltex.

The Thug is an impressive design that has withstood the vagaries of battle for centuries. Its heat sinks allow it to sustain a continual barrage from its twin PPCs, and it has enough armor to survive any return fire. Should enemies close with the Thug, its pilots can engage their twin SRM launchers or devastate opponents with crippling physical attacks.

Twin Tiegart particle projection cannons, located one each in the Thug's arms, provide the knock-out punch needed by any heavy 'Mech. Though ten percent smaller than the Donal PPCs carried by the Warhammer, the Tiegart matches its larger cousin for power and damage. The Tiegart's major drawback is the scarcity of replacement parts. Even though several redundant circuits provide backup power if needed, the MechWarrior's control over the weapon suffers greatly without a steady supply of parts.

Secondary weapons include two Bical-6 short-range missile launchers, one each in the 'Mech's right and left torsos. The SRMs provide short-range firepower and free the Thug's arms for hand-to-hand combat. When all four weapons fire at the same target, the effect on the enemy is devastating. Only the strongest 'Mechs can withstand such a massive barrage. The Thug is equipped with CASE, safeguarding the MechWarrior from missile-load explosions.

After almost a full minute of long-range bombardment, Thug pilots often move in on damaged opponents. The reliable Bical-6 SRMs come into their own at close ranges; their barrage of warheads exploiting the openings torn in a foe's armor by earlier fire. Special dilating covers on the Thug's side torsos protect the launchers when not in use, which can also surprise an opponent not familiar with the design.

The superior protection afforded by the Thug's more than fourteen tons of Durallex armor ensures the Thug can withstand all but the most concentrated long-range firepower. Because they are built to last, these BattleMechs see almost constant battle. The original equipment of the Thug has to be replaced over the years as parts become worn beyond repair or were destroyed outright. Ironically, technicians have had to modify stockpiled supplies for the Warhammer to replace the Thug's weapons. Newer Thugs are now built with these parts, eliminating the need for extensive field modifications to make the weapons fit their new housings.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.

Thug (?), n. [Hind. thag a deceiver, robber.]

One of an association of robbers and murderers in India who practiced murder by stealthy approaches, and from religious motives. They have been nearly exterminated by the British government.

 

© Webster 1913


Thug, n.

An assassin; a ruffian; a rough. "Thugs and midnight rounders." The Century.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.