The change of one thing into another, be it a geometric construct, a physical object, a living thing, an idea, or anything else encompassed in everything. More generally, the noun form of the verb 'transform'. For example: If I were to transform into a porcupine or splotchypine, the act of having changed would be the transformation.

Geometery: A one-to-one mapping from the whole plane to the whole plane.

-Courtesy of public school geometery class

A process by which the genetic material carried by an individual cell is altered by incorporation of exogenous DNA into its genome.


From the BioTech Dictionary at http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/. For further information see the BioTech homenode.

Trans`for*ma"tion (?), n. [L. transformatio: cf. transformation.]

The act of transforming, or the state of being transformed; change of form or condition.

Specifically: --

(a) Biol.

Any change in an organism which alters its general character and mode of life, as in the development of the germ into the embryo, the egg into the animal, the larva into the insect (metamorphosis), etc.; also, the change which the histological units of a tissue are prone to undergo. See Metamorphosis.

<-- esp. the change from a normal to a cancerous state for a eukaryotic cell -->

(b) Physiol.

Change of one from of material into another, as in assimilation; metabolism; metamorphosis.

(c) Alchemy

The imagined possible or actual change of one metal into another; transmutation.

(d) Theol.

A change in disposition, heart, character, or the like; conversion.

(e) Math.

The change, as of an equation or quantity, into another form without altering the value.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.