God is and has always been a crutch of mankind. Often He provides an explanation to the questions that vex us, a comfort for the emptiness that can fill us, a justification to the atrocities we commit, and above all else, a model for our behavior. Any who stray from His flock are bound to come around sometime...especially when they stand before Him to be judged.

If the followers of the Judeo-Christian God are right in this, all mankind will be judged upon the Apocalypse. At this time we will all be found either worthy or lacking, whereupon we will either ascend to Heaven or be cast into Hell for all eternity.

Well, as an athiest, I'm curious...where's the third choice? If God's all about freedom, including the freedom to stray, why the limitations? Those who don't subscribe to His rules, or even His existence, can't be held responsible for not adhering to them, under the circumstances.

This is equivalent to beating a stray dog for begging. He doesn't know any better, and you have no authority over him anyway. I know that one possible rebuttal to this argument is that athiests are rarely ignorant of the rules of God, especially in Western society, where those rules extend heavily into the secular. I bring upon you then the scenario of the 'Good Athiest'. Suppose this individual acted in a good and positive fashion throughout his entire life, not for the rewards of Heaven, but rather in accordance his own intrinsic moral code? Would this kindly heathen be punished in the afterlife for his heretical lifestyle? (I'd love an actual canonized text reference for or against this point, but my religious texts are all at home, and I'm not.)

My personal beliefs, or lack thereof, must be obvious at this point, but I'm asking that all rebuttals hold to a secure foundation of logic, as I have aspired to here.