The Sicilian defense is one of the most fundamental chess tactics that a player new to the game should master. It is a classic defensive manuever by black in response to one of the most standard openings by white and clearly illustrates the thought processes that go into the opening moves of a chess match. As an avid chess player, the Sicilian defense is one of the first elements of opening theory that I show a new player, and it usually clicks and gives them a glimpse of some of the amazingly elegant strategy that the game holds.

The Sicilian defense is a response to the common white opening of 1. e4, known as the king's pawn opening. This opening is diagrammed below for those unfamiliar with chess notation (rather than using a standard diagramming scheme, I'm using a very simple one in order to make the layout as clear as possible).

1. e4
              black
---------------------------------
| R | N | B | Q | K | B | N | R | 8
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| P | P | P | P | P | P | P | P | 7
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 6
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 5
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   |   |   |   | P |   |   |   | 4
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 3
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| P | P | P | P |   | P | P | P | 2
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| R | N | B | Q | K | B | N | R | 1
---------------------------------
  a   b   c   d   e   f   g   h
              white

If you're interested, I encourage you to set this up on your own chessboard, so that you can visualize it for yourself.

Now, one of the most common of responses to this opening is the Sicilian defense. In that, black responds 1. e4-c5. Let's take a look at the board position after the black player moves.

1. e4-c5
              black
---------------------------------
| R | N | B | Q | K | B | N | R | 8
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| P | P |   | P | P | P | P | P | 7
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 6
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   |   | P |   |   |   |   |   | 5
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   |   |   |   | P |   |   |   | 4
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 3
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| P | P | P | P |   | P | P | P | 2
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| R | N | B | Q | K | B | N | R | 1
---------------------------------
  a   b   c   d   e   f   g   h
              white

That is the heart of the Sicilian defense. It has been well studied over the years and is considered to be one of the foundations of opening defense in chess. Some basic analysis is in order here.

Why would white open with the King's pawn opening?
It is widely known and repeatedly demonstrated that the player who gains control of the middle four squares of the board will dominate the game. This is because, due to their central location, many pieces have to move into that region of the board; it is the most vital of positions on the board. When white opens by moving a pawn to e4, the white player is staking an early and immediate claim to the center squares, already controlling one square but, more importantly, in position to capture any piece that black may want to place in d5.

If black makes no response to this opening, the white player can then play 2. d4 (promoting the pawn in front of the queen two rows), making a complete dominance of the center four squares of the board and essentially putting black in a world of hurt. The black player has no way to immediately move onto the board center without developing a number of pieces, allowing white to construct a more long-term offense that would almost assuredly defeat the lagging black player.

With such an early claim to the center four squares on the board, black has to respond to this King's pawn opening in some fashion.

Why respond to the King's pawn opening with the Sicilian defense?
It is a simple way to make sure that white will not respond with 2. d4, because if white does this, that piece will be taken immediately. As a result, white has to spend the next turn preparing d4 with 2. Nf3 (preparing, in this context, means creating some sort of way to capture opposing pieces in a particular square). This gives black a chance to formulate his own defense, essentially giving a turn of breathing room. The most common way black goes about this is through d6, which frees the queen's bishop to attack the promoted white knight. Another response, one that I am currently exploring in my spare time, is Nc6, where black promotes a knight in a more direct response to white's promoted knight.

What does the Sicilian defense lead to?
Inherent in its strong style, it sets up black to take an offensive stance throughout the game, particularly if the white player is very timid. It almost always leads to black quickly moving the queen's knight and bishop, creating a heavy offensive front for the black player.

Here are two of my favorite examples of longer openings involving the Sicilian defense.

The Velimirovic Attack

1.   e4 c5 
2.  Nf3 d6 
3.   d4 cxd4 
4. Nxd4 Nf6 
5.  Nc3 Nc6 
6.  Bc4 e6 
7.  Be3 Be7 
8.  Qe2 0-0 
9.0-0-0 Qc7 
10. Bb3 a6 
              black
---------------------------------
| R |   | B |   |   | R | K |   | 8
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   | P | Q |   | B | P | P | P | 7
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| P |   | N | P | P | N |   |   | 6
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 5
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   |   |   | N | P |   |   |   | 4
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   | B | N |   | B |   |   |   | 3
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| P | P | P |   | Q | P | P | P | 2
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   |   | K | R |   |   |   | R | 1
---------------------------------
  a   b   c   d   e   f   g   h
              white

Discussion: Basically, this demonstrates how white can turn the situation into a strong attacking stance. It brings into play both knights and bishops by the seventh turn, then castles on turn nine to protect the king. Essentially black starts to lag a turn behind in development because of white's early pawn sacrifice. A clever way for white to turn things around in response to the defense.

The Dragon

1.  e4 c5 
2. Nf3 Nc6 
3.  d4 cxd4 
4.Nxd4 g6 
5. Nc3 Bg7 
6. Be3 Nf6 
7. Bc4 O-O 
8. Bb3 

              black
---------------------------------
| R |   | B | Q |   | R | K |   | 8
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| P | P |   | P | P | P | B | P | 7
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   |   | N |   |   | N | P |   | 6
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 5
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   |   |   | N | P |   |   |   | 4
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
|   | B | N |   | B |   |   |   | 3
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| P | P | P |   |   | P | P | P | 2
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| R |   |   | Q | K |   |   | R | 1
---------------------------------
  a   b   c   d   e   f   g   h
              white

Discussion: This is called the Dragon mostly because of black's strongly offensive stature, with both knights ready to strike and the black queen holding one of the white knights in place (if the white knight at c3 is moved anytime soon, the black queen can move to a5 for an early check). Black definitely has the upper hand in most playings of the Dragon; the white player should try very hard to upset it.

The Sicilian defense is a foundation of chess strategy and one that young players should learn quickly. I myself have explored it greatly, and the possibilities it opens up are still very intriguing to me.