A song, or rather an instrumental movement to the song antennas to heaven by Godspeed You Black Emperor!. On lift yr. skinny fists like antennas to heaven!, it runs from 4:03 to 13:46 on the 4th track of the album. Just try to listen to this song without being deeply, soulfully moved. I dare you.

There's also a dance that accompanies the song. Let me teach you.


 4:03| The song starts.  Wave your head back and forth like Stevie Wonder.
     |
     |
     |
 5:30| Hear the tapping of the drumsticks, and look around furtively for 3 seconds.
 5:33| All of your muscles clench and spasm like you're having an orgasm on the electric chair.
     | Roll around on the floor for a while in musical ecstasy.
     |
 6:25| Pick yourself up, catch your breath, and wipe yourself off with a moist towel.
     |
     |
 7:30| Time for more furtive looking.  They are coming for you.
     |
 7:50| Smile.  Start with a little one,
     | then smile more
     | and more
     | until your face hurts from grinning like a fool.
 9:30| Relax.  Chuckle if you have to.
     |
10:10| Shiver nervously like a homeless person in the winter, asking for change
11:05| Steel yourself like a mariner braving a gale
     |
11:22| Open your eyes.  Become bigger.  It hasn't killed you, and it's making you stronger.
     |
11:55| Release all your tension.  All of it.  It's like shitting; just get it out,
     | flush it down,
     | and forget about it.
     |
     |
13:15| Smile again.  Sincerely this time.  You are OK.
     |
     |

Does anyone else hear this song as the story of a life? From ignorant childhood to rambunctious, hedonistic adolescence, to paranoid, delusional adulthood, through hard times to recovery and regrowth, self-knowledge, wisdom, and ultimately to a happy, unfeared death? That's what I hear. What do you hear?



izubachi says I hear the apocalypse. And then I hear the beginning of a new world.

hunt05 says I hear the tale of an addict in it. Like at first, they're happy using drugs and all, and then they get scared, and then they finally become clean and sober