The American Doberman Pinscher is one of the most popular dog breeds today. The breed was started in Germany by Louis Dobermann in the late 1800's. Dobermann, a policeman, bred the dog to protect himself on his nightly rounds. The resulting dogs were brave, loyal and fierce. Pinscher, German for "terrier", reflects some of the breeds the Doberman is derived from, which include the Rottweiler, Greyhound, and Great Dane. The modern breed has had much of the original agressiveness bred out. Additionally, the second 'n' on Dobermann was dropped in the United States.

Today's doberman is intelligent, friendly and loyal. They are medium sized dogs, about 28 inches tall at the shoulder, with a lean muscular build. The coloring is most often black and rusty red. The tail is usually docked, and the ears cropped to achieve the well-known erect appearance. These "modifications" are losing favor, though, and are outlawed as cruel and unnecessary in a growing number of countries worldwide.

Like most breeds of dogs, excessive inbreeding has resulted in numerous genetic problems. Hip dysplasia, heart problems, bleeding disorders, eye defects, skin diseases, and hypothyroidism are the Doberman's most common afflictions.