E*rect" (?), a. [L. erectus, p. p. of erigere to erect; e out + regere to lead straight. See Right, and cf. Alert.]

1.

Upright, or having a vertical position; not inverted; not leaning or bent; not prone; as, to stand erect.

Two of far nobler shape, erect and tall. Milton.

Among the Greek colonies and churches of Asia, Philadelphia is still erect -- a column of ruins. Gibbon.

2.

Directed upward; raised; uplifted.

His piercing eyes, erect, appear to view Superior worlds, and look all nature through. Pope.

3.

Bold; confident; free from depression; undismayed.

But who is he, by years Bowed, but erect in heart? Keble.

4.

Watchful; alert.

Vigilant and erect attention of mind. Hooker.

5. Bot.

Standing upright, with reference to the earth's surface, or to the surface to which it is attached.

6. Her.

Elevated, as the tips of wings, heads of serpents, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.


E*rect", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Erected; p. pr. & vb. n. Erecting.]

1.

To raise and place in an upright or perpendicular position; to set upright; to raise; as, to erect a pole, a flagstaff, a monument, etc.

2.

To raise, as a building; to build; to construct; as, to erect a house or a fort; to set up; to put together the component parts of, as of a machine.

3.

To lift up; to elevate; to exalt; to magnify.

That didst his state above his hopes erect. Daniel.

I, who am a party, am not to erect myself into a judge. Dryden.

4.

To animate; to encourage; to cheer.

It raiseth the dropping spirit, erecting it to a loving complaisance. Barrow.

5.

To set up as an assertion or consequence from premises, or the like.

"To erect conclusions." Sir T. Browne. "Malebranche erects this proposition."

Locke.

6.

To set up or establish; to found; to form; to institute.

"To erect a new commonwealth."

Hooker.

Erecting shop Mach., a place where large machines, as engines, are put together and adjusted.

Syn. -- To set up; raise; elevate; construct; build; institute; establish; found.

 

© Webster 1913.


E*rect", v. i.

To rise upright.

[Obs.]

By wet, stalks do erect. Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.