There is a New Orleans story concerning Walt Whitman. He came to New Orleans, Louisiana in February 1848 and left May 27 that same year. He wrote for the 'Crescent' newspaper while there and, the story goes, he became involved with several Creoles and Creoles of Color during his visit. Creoles are persons whose antecedents were residents of New Orleans before 1803 and who had either French of Spanish family names. A Creole might be a person whose father was Spanish and whose mother was French. A Creole of Color was a person who matched all that criteria and who was fortunate enough to also have African ancestry. Generally, they were always freepersons. It is also said that he was introduced to hashish while here and attended several Voodoo ceremonies. Considering the quality of his poetry was good but somewhat mundane and turgid before his visit to New Orleans, and considering that, after his visit, he began to write the soaring and cosmic "Leaves of Grass" it is locally speculated that his experiences left a significant, even indellible, mark on the Poet's psyche. If you have ever had the good fortune to visit New Orleans, you perhaps have experienced the extremes which abide in that city and which stimulated Walt during his visit and can see how this story - True? False? I'd rather not know. -arose.