Here's the skinny on this underrated movie.

Released: December 25 1990 Directed by: Francis Ford Coppola
Cast:
Al Pacino - Don Michael Corleone
Andy Garcia - Vincent Mancini (Corleone)
Diane Keaton - Kay Adams
Talia Shire - Constanzia 'Connie' Corleone
George Hamilton - BJ. Harrison
Sofia Coppola - Mary Corleone

The film is set in 1979, soon after the death of Pope Paul VI. The election of Pope John Paul I is part of the film and is integrated into the vast conspiracy against the Corleone Family.

The aging Michael Corleone has completely legitimized his family and is now heavily invested in real estate. The film opens with the celebration of a special Papal award for his contributions to the Vatican.

At the same time, Vincent Mancini, the illegitimate son of Sonny Corleone, arrives on the scene and wishes to join the family. He is accepted and falls in love with the Don's daughter, Mary.

Don Michael is much weaker and his only desire is to repent for the sins of his past. He admits, to the future pope John Paul I that he ordered the death of Fredo and he has felt guilty about it for a long time.

The Don's son, Anthony, has become a musician and is in an Easter day operatic performance. This is where Vincent finishes the enemies of the family and takes over for Don Michael completely.

The way the film ends is sad. The last image is the wind blowing across a dusty courtyard and an aged Don sitting in a chair, who collapses and dies.

It is a highly underrated movie and was nominated for seven Oscars:
Best Supporting Actor: Andy Garcia
Best Art and Set Direction: Gary Fettis and Dean Tavoularis
Best Cinematography: Gordon Willis
Best Director: Francis Ford Coppola
Best Film Editing: Lisa Fruchtman, Barry Malkin and Walter Murch
Best Music (Song: Promise Me You'll Remember): John Bettis (lyrics) and Carmine Coppola (Music)
Best Picture: Francis Ford Coppola