Housewarming Saturday, hideous food poisoning Sunday. Woke up this morning feeling marginally better, shoved myself into cleaning and clothes, and threw myself out the door and at the world. I didn’t get very far.

My truck was missing from its reserved spot in the parking lot behind my apartment building. I stared for a long moment, trying to figure out if I’d parked it on the street and somehow forgot. Then I walked out to the street and checked.

Nope, no truck. I headed back inside, let my management know I wouldn’t be there to run my 10AM meeting, and checked my phone. Dead. The charger lives in the cab of my truck - obviously I was going to need a new one.

I emailed my property management company, got on my bicycle, and headed for the 7-11. Two blocks down, I glanced right, and noticed a red pickup truck parked another block down. I cruised up and sure as shit, there was my truck.

The contents had obviously been ransacked - the papers in the glovebox were in the passenger footwell, and the back cab had been stacked haphazardly into my passenger seat. A couple of cheap cigarillos had been abandoned in the driver side footwell. Otherwise, the truck was in fine shape - the radio intact, the tires good, no parts obviously missing from under the hood. It started fine, and drove very nicely back to the parking lot with my bike in the back.

The police have come out and taken a report, but they seemed to be as puzzled as I am.