Here are some more "special" Bibles -

  • The Denial Bible
  • - Oxford's 1792 edition of the Bible asserted that someone called Phillip, not Peter, was the apostle who denied Jesus three times.

  • The Fool Bible
  • - Published during the reign of Charles I, the Fool's Bible clearly states that "The fool hath said in his heart that there is a God" (Psalms 14). The omission of that crucial "no" cost the printers a £1000 fine.

  • The Forgotten Sins Bible
  • - Printed in 1638. Luke 7 - "Her sins which are many, are forgotten". Forgiven, surely?

  • The Idle Bible
  • - An 1809 edition which refers to "the idle shepherd", rather than the idol shepherd.

  • The Judas Bible
  • - Published 1611. Matthew 27, reads - "Then cometh Judas with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder." You say Judas, I say Jesus; You say tomayto, I say tomahto...

  • The Lions Bible
  • - Published in 1804, the Lions Bible is a veritable treasure trove of howlers. Numbers 25 - "The murderer shall surely be put together" (as opposed to "to death"); Galatians 5 - "For the flesh lusteth after the Spirit" (against the Spirit...), and most notably, Kings 8 - "but thy son that shall come forth out of thy lions"...

  • The "Sin on" Bible
  • - An Irish edition of 1716 contains a tiny but significant typo - John 5, 14, reads "sin on more", rather than "sin no more". No-one noticed the error until 8000 copies had been printed and bound.

  • The "To Remain" Bible
  • - Another effort from Cambridge, this time printed in 1805. They excelled themselves with this one, by adding to the Bible's text, rather than mangling or omitting parts of it. A proofreader queried the comma towards the end of Galatians 4, 29, which should read "persecuted him that was born after the spirit, even so it is now". The Editor pencilled a reply in the margin reading "to remain", and the text was dutifully changed to "born after the spirit, to remain even so it is now."

It would seem that Hell is full of printers.

Sources
Brewer's Dictionary Of Phrase And Fable
http://bible.gospelcom.net/