The most famous work by Jewish writer Franz Kafka. Written in 1915, it tells the story of a young man, Josef K, who is the chief clerk of a bank. One day, he finds himself arrested, but is puzzled, as he is free to go to work. He declines hiring a lawyer, as he does not see it necessary; the whole system he is being put to trial under is ridiculous to him. Slowly, as he is pulled further and further into the faux legal machinery, he ends up accepting the verdict.

"Der Prozess", as was original title - it was written in German as all of Kafka's works - is a classic tale of alienation, and is very reflective of Kafka's other works.

It was posthumously published by Max Brod, Kafka's close friend, who refused to burn the manuscripts as the will dictated. Max has since stated that the reason he chose to publish the manuscripts, was that when Kafka once told him that he would request the burning, he had replied that he would not do it. The will was also written during a deep depression, and Max, as he himself was fascinated by the works, did not want to heed the wish.

Der Prozess has since been adapted as a play and movie, the movie (a rare example of an adequate book->movie conversion) starring Kyle McLachlan and Anthony Hopkins.

Audited March 22, 2002