Jane Loevinger's ego development theory proposes that individuals progress through a series of stages that reflect increased levels of cognitive complexity and ego maturity. Loevinger proposes that the level of ego functioning influences how an individual perceives and interprets personal experiences and interpersonal relationships.

Richard Shweder, a cultural psychologist, argues that an individual's ideals and interpersonal interactions are influenced by the values and normative behavior patterns embedded in their cultural worldview. Shweder suggests that there are three primary cultural worldviews: an Autonomous worldview that emphasizes independent choice, a Community worldview concerned with the well-being of the larger social community, and a Divinity worldview that focuses on divinely-inspired revelation.

Loevinger and Shweder's theories suggest that the personal ideals that are important to an individual and the patterns of interaction among individuals may be influenced both by their level of ego maturity and the key values in their cultural context.

Erikson's theory suggests that the commitment to personal ideals and the development of male-female relationships were important elements in the identity and intimacy challenges confronting young adults.