Greatness? What is greatness? Is it consistent achievement? Or is it a long stretch of great success? Let us consider the Detroit hockey franchise...

The Red Wings won the Presidents' Trophy for the 1994-95 ,1995-96 and 2001-2002 seasons. And, they have won the Stanley Cup in 1936, 1937, 1943, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1997, 1998 and now they have just defeated the Carolina Hurricanes for the cup in 2002. Ten, that makes TEN Stanley Cups in the franchise history. Wow. I am almost speechless.

I am so sorry to have doubted the greatest of Detroit's hockey dynasty. I bow low before the speed, the agility, the sheer awesome level of play put forth by each of the most excellent players from Detroit. The sharp talent honed to a point by the great Scotty Bowman, a coach like no other. He had the wherewithal to pull together the boundless talent on his team to forge it into one awe inspiring firepower unit. Sadly he retires after winning his ninth Stanley Cup championship, a feat that puts him at the top of the great coaches of NHL history. He is without a doubt, a great hockey master.

The Red Wings have some of the best players the game has ever known.Yzerman, Lidstrom, Shanahan, Federov, Hull, Robitaille, Larionov, Devereaux. All names that will be remembered by Red Wing fans for a long time to come. Hasek, the goalie that with grace and finesse stretched out across the net making save after save after save will long be cheered. This is a team with a deep well of skill and much playoff experience. I say now that I was wrong in questioning that this team would in the end prevail. I felt the Hurricanes had the gut in the stomach raw eye of the tiger want to pull off a win, but I was mistaken. Underdog desire is not enough to make champions. The Detroit Red Wings last night proved that they were indeed the best team in the league. Congratulations oh great and mighty Red Wings. I am humbled by your greatness. I kiss your skates.