A freely available C package that does MPEG decoding. Acronym for Audio MPEG Player, IIRC. It's from this we got X11AMP, WinAMP, MacAMP and DOSAMP.

An MTV show that runs at 2:00 AM on Sundays. Basically MTV's attempt to attract the techno/electronica crowd. Has a tendency to suck, except for the occasional gem from Daft Punk, Moby, Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, or Mr. Oizo.

amp is short for ampere and amplifier
amp is an abbreviation for amperage and ampere(s)
AMP (Adenosine MonoPhosphate) is a crystalline nucleotide, C10H14N5O7P, present in, and vital to the energy processes of, all living cells. It is also a major regulator of a cell's biochemical activity.
The shortened title for the "Attacked Mystification Police", in the Silent Mobius manga and anime series. It was formed by Superintendent Rally Cheyenne in 2024, after years of attacks on humans by demons called Lucifer Hawks. Initially it consisted of only four members:

Rally Cheyenne (Commander of AMP)
Lebia Maverick (Lieutenant and computer expert)
Nami Yamigumo (Shinto cleric)
Kiddy Phenil (partly cyborg fighter)

In 2026 another two women joined:

Katsumi Liqueur (sorceress)
Yuki Sato (psychic)

In 2027, Commander Mana Isozaki joined and took over direct control of the the five women officers (though she took orders from Rally). In 2030 the last member of AMP joined, the Chinese magic user Lum Cheng, who was fetched from Hong Kong by Kiddy and Nami.

Each member of AMP has different powers in combating the Hawks but form a potent force when they work together. They originally have to contend with jealousy from other Police departments but eventually win them over with their charm and combat skills.

AMP headquarters is based Tokyo (this is the rebuilt capital, after the Tokyo we know and love/hate was destroyed after Project Gaia failed). Early on in the series, the original headquarters building is destroyed by Maximillian Ganossa, a human working for the Lucifer Hawks, so a new one was designed and built for the AMP. Before the final battle with the Lucifer Hawks and the forces of Nemisis, the new headquarters building is possessed by a Lucifer Hawk. Members of a SWAT-like team from the regular Police force help buy the AMP time to destroy it. Obviously the women regret having to do it but they have no choice, lest the Lucifer Hawk fully merge and create havoc in the city.

Only women are allowed to join AMP. At first there is no reason given for this curious rule, but later on Rally tells us why. It is women who create life and nurture it, thus enabling to repair the damage caused by war and conflict. The idea of women fighting a defensive conflict, as protectors of mankind is quite appropriate in this series.

Adenosine monophosphate is a water-soluble nucleotide which is vital to the continued existence of life. AMP is formed when ADP relinquishes a phosphate group to become adenosine monophosphate (AMP) giving out 30.5 kJmol-1 to provide energy for cellular biochemical reactions. AMP itself can lose its final phosphate group giving out 14 kJmol-1 of energy. During respiration, AMP is phosphorylated to ADP and ADP to ATP.

The Australian Mutual Provident Society, a financial services and investment group founded in 1849 by Reverend Walsh, Thomas Mort and Thomas Holt in Sydney, Australia. Provides services to customers in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, Europe and the Americas. AMP has £98 billion of funds under management.

Corporate Structure

Trivia

AMP has over 17,000 employees worldwide, and more employees in the UK than in any other country.

The AMP Tower in Sydney is the tallest structure in the city, at 324 metres. It featured in the movie Mission Impossible 2.

The AMP Oval is the largest cricket ground in the Northern Hemisphere.

AMP outbid Coca-Cola to be the main sponsors of the Sydney Olympics in 2000.

The AMP Mantra: "Market Oriented... Committed to People... Teamwork... Integrity... Results Driven... Brains... Hu-man Brains....*"

*I lied about the brains

Amp is an energy drink made by the fine people who gave us Mountain Dew. A few years ago, there was a blurb in The Onion that explained how Mountain Dew led users to go on to harder beverages. How right they were. This concoction might now be my favorite beverage, as the original Mountain Dew is getting a little too bland and sweet for my adult tastes; a fact that was breaking my heart until I found this.

Mountain Dew's "Amp" comes in a spiffy 8.4 fl oz can with, get this, a GREEN TAB to open it with. It is also filled with several B vitamins to compliment my vegan lifestyle. Faithful to the original yet nutritionally pointless soda, it contains oodles of caffeine, Yellow 5, and, yes, brominated vegetable oil. It also comes with the hefty price tag of about $2/can, much like a drink at the bar. I feel like a grown up now.

Ingredients-Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar, citric acid, natural flavor, orange juice from concentrate, guarana, sodium benzoate (preserves freshness!), sodium phosphates, maltodextrin, CAFFEINE, gum arabic, ascorbic acid (preserves freshness!), taurine, panax ginseng, calcium disodium EDTA (to protect flavor), potassium benzoate (preserves freshness), brominated vegetable oil, yellow 5, B vitamins: miacianamide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, Vitamin B12 (great for the vegans), pyridoxine hydrochloride; Blue 1.

for more information, the sexy can advises you to visit their website at AmpEnergy.com. Bottums up!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.