Be careful what you wish for... you just may get it.

There's something you want... it's a longing in your soul and a thorn in your heart. All you can think about day in and day out is how much you want it. You tear yourself up inside to figure out a way to have it; you neglect the things that are important; you push your friends away; you hurt people, you leave them in tears. Nothing matters as long as you can achieve your goal. Once you get it, you know that nothing else will matter, because you will be happy. ... And then... someone gives it to you. Finally! You have it. It's all yours. You sit and admire it for a while. You run to your best friend, holding your shiny new toy raised high and say "look what I have!" She smiles and says "how nice," pats you on the head and then leaves to go visit her boyfriend. You look around for someone else to show. You run to your mom. "Oh my... that's what's popular among the kids these days." shakes her head and clucks her tongue. hmmm. *shrug* You call up another friend, she hangs up on you. "That's the stupid thing you missed my birthday party for." Not to be struck down, you resign to go back to your room and play with your new toy. You will be happy with it. You sit and spin it for a while, examine every edge, admire it's beauty. You sit it on your bed- it's your new best friend. You smile at it. It sits there, inaminate. You squeeze it tight against your chest. It's cold, and hard. You frown. This doesn't do too much. And you realize... that it's not that great after all.