Korean food has some similarities to the cuisine of other Asian countries, but some differences as well. Of course, rice is a staple, although Koreans tend to use medium grain rice, as opposed to the stickier short grain rice favored by the Chinese (this is probably why Koreans generally use a spoon for rice, and the Chinese use chopsticks). The Korean diet also includes an absurd amount of their local invention, kimchi (gimchi/kimchee), a kind of spicy, pickled cabbage. Aside from these two staples, Korean food generally includes a lot of vegetables, and is seasoned primarily with garlic and red chili, although ginger and ginseng are also used. Various kinds of barbequed meat, seafood and soups are also popular.

As well as their own unique cuisine, Koreans have also developed Koreanized versions of Japanese and Chinese dishes.

I will give here a list and brief description of all the Korean dishes that I've tried (and remember), and will eventually start creating nodes for as many as possible. The list will be weak in the seafood department, because I don't eat it:

Real Korean Foods

Koreanized Chinese Foods

  • Jjajang myeon (noodles with black bean sauce)
  • Tang soo yook (sweet-and-sour pork)
  • Japchae (rice noodles)
  • Bokkeumbap (fried rice)
  • Mandoo (dumplings)
  • Koreanized Japanese Foods

  • Sashimi (raw fish)
  • Oodong (thick noodle soup. Japanese: udon)
  • Saengson Chobap (a kind of sushi)
  • Yubu Chobap (sushi rice wrapped in fried tofu. Japanese: inarizushi)
  • Donkass (pork cutlet. Japanese: tonkatsu)

    Obviously, this list is far from complete. If anyone adds a node for a Korean food not on the list, /msg me and I'll add it to the list.