Imperial Blog 1 Thermidor 4703

1
Oh Jianada!
Happy Canada Day!
2
Vulgar Manicheanism
A user replied to my previous blog that the reason it didn't have net positive XP was that I said Bush was "evil".

Of course I said no such thing. But it is interesting how wide spread this simplemindedness is even in a presumably intellectually above average venue like this.

The portrayal of the dynamic of society as being between "good" and "evil", "light" and "dark" forces is primitive and backward at best. Appropriate in a comic book or other fictional setting, it is tragically inappropriate in life lived with other real sentient beings. IMHO, the correct dichotomy, for those implicit Hegelians amongst you, is between the more and less progressive.
3
Religion reified.
It is common for my people¹, when asked about their beliefs, when they are not "religious", to say that while they don't accept any of the established religions or "God", they believe in "Something". Before the onset of my own religious experience, some five years ago, I would ridicule this. "They don't know what it is but they believe in 'something'".

Perforce, as a result of the many real experiences since then of "something", I now am beyond that.

¹ The Lord said to Abraham: "Go forth from the land of your kinsfolk and from your father's house to a land that I will show you." Genesis 12:1