Made famous by Alice in Wonderland, the practice of celebrating an unbirthday was something that Lewis Carroll/Charles Dodgson actually did in real life. Rather than give presents only on expected gift-giving days, Dodgson would surprise friends with gifts on other, random days.

In the Disney movie, the unbirthday discussion occurs during the Mad Tea Party. In the book, though, it's a conversation with Humpty Dumpty. Once again, philosophical and linguistic themes show through:

(Humpty informs Alice that the cravat he is wearing was an unbirthday gift from the White King and the White Queen. Alice says she prefers birthday presents, and Humpty rebuts this with the argument that you can get unbirthday presents 364 days a year, birthday presents, only one. He concludes triumphantly:)

"There's glory for you!" "I don't know what you mean by 'glory,'" Alice objected. Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't--till I tell you. I meant 'there's a nice knock-down argument for you!'" "But 'glory' doesn't mean 'a nice knock-down argument," Alice objected. "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean--nothing more nor less." "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things." "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master--that's all." Alice was too much puzzled to say anything . . .