The 11th Annual of Marvel's Captain America series was published in 1992, and was part of a mini-Summer event called "Citizen Kang", featuring perennial Avengers foe Kang the Conqueror. It was the third consecutive annual featuring Captain America after the character had been without annuals for several years. It featured several back-up features, one with The Falcon.

The main story has Captain America landing in a small town in a Quinjet, on the trail of The Vision, who had mentioned going here a few issues ago. The town is so idyllic that it feels strange, and when the Captain visits a deserted factory, he finds himself falling into a different world: an ancient time when he finds a friend of his, Gilgamesh, fighting some strange creatures. In the Marvel Universe, Gilgamesh is one of The Eternals, a race of super-advanced, godlike beings, but here he has lost his identity, and is the Gilgamesh of the ancient epic. Captain America, realizing that he has travelled back in time, assists Gilgamesh on his adventures. In the last panel, we see Kang the Conqueror, speaking to himself about a Master Plan, as villains are wont to do.

We are treated to a two page spread featuring the technical details of Captain America's plane, Freedom's Flight

We then go to the main backup story, featuring The Falcon. The Falcon, along with being Captain America's sidekick, is a social worker. And African-American, which is key to this tale, where we come to the back alleys of Harlem. A young man of The Falcon's acquaintance has fallen in with the villain The Taskmaster, and needs help from The Falcon to save him from his criminal affiliation. Despite The Taskmaster being a supervillain, this is an attempt to tell a "street level" story, with a somewhat stylized look at the issue of gang membership. Which is a noble goal, but it also featured dialogue like this:

Me n' the brothers was peepin' your crib, man---when we saw somethin' ill
The story, while not terrible, seems to be a pretty clumsy attempt to write a socially relevant story.

Notice the two stories we have here: a straight-ahead science-fiction/adventure story where Captain America goes and fights in ancient times---and a modern day story that attempts to talk about contemporary issues. As with a previous annual, this annual attempts to mix two parts of the Captain America character: as a static figure who goes on cosmic adventures, and as a specifically patriotic hero who addresses problems in American society. It is also telling that post-Gulf War, there is a focus on military hardware, with a two page spread describing Captain America's plane in specific detail. I also believe, perhaps without evidence, that Captain America's physique changes depending on what type of story he is doing. The Captain America who flies jet planes and has cosmic battles has a bulky, overpowering body, while the Captain America that rides around on a motorcycle righting wrongs is lithe and smaller.

I don't object to Captain America fighting mythic battles with no character involvement or drama, but the division between the two stories in the issue show just how confused Marvel was at how to develop and market their characters during the 1990s.