I went to Eugene today, by Greyhound bus on the way there and by Amtrak Train on the way back. Eugene is less than an hour from where I live, but it was still significant because this was the first time I had really gone to another city since last August, when I also went to Eugene. Six months in Corvallis and environs was a little stifling. The pandemic has receded enough that I feel responsible traveling again.

What I did when I was there was walk from the center of Eugene to the northern edge of the city. I have walked everywhere between the city of Vancouver, Washington and my current location of Corvallis. (Actually a bit further, past the William L. Finley National Wildlife Refuge. My plan is to complete the connection, and walk everywhere between the two cities. I still have 25 miles to go. But pretty good progress, considering it is only February and the warm weather and long days haven't started yet. Part of the reason why I do this is that I want to see what cities are really like: Eugene, of course, is a stereotypical twee hippie kingdom, and if you stay within two or three miles of downtown, that reputation is deserved. But Eugene has its freeways and highways and sprawl and six lane roads, as well. And so one of my goals is to see my extended community---the entire Willamette Valley---as it really is.

Oh, and also, I got over 330 photos to upload to inaturalist.org. That should keep me busy this weekend.