Going to the Sun Road is the road that climbs to the top of the continental divide in Glacier National Park. It starts about 3 or 4 kilometers from the entrance to the park in West Glacier, MT. One side of the road splits and goes to the Northwest, and the other goes northeast and is Going To The Sun Road.

From the shores of Lake McDonald, which the road follows for around a dozen kilometers, the road turns to climb up through the mountains and hills. From the road, many impressive sights can be seen. I am not going to even attempt to describe what these sights are. You have to go there.

On a more mundane note, the history of the road can be described. It was originally a project of the CCC during the FDR years. It was built during the 1930's with great effort, not surprising since it is a road across a high northern mountain pass about 50 kilometers from the nearest substantial town, that is covered with snow through about 7 months of the year.

One of the most interesting things about the road, to me, is that it passes through about several thousand kilometers of climate on its 3 or 4 thousand meter climb. For example, by the shores of Lake McDonald, you will be driving through a typical northern montane ecosystem, with poplar and birch trees mixed in with pines. Continuing your drive, you will drive into a predominatly pine forest, followed by a small bush and dwarf tree biome, followed at the top of Logan Pass by a grass, lichen and finally bare rock environment.

I am almost ashamed that someone with my meager talents should try to describe the most beautiful drive in the United States. However, I can add very practically, to be very, very careful on this route. It is narrow, icy and twisting. And it is a long way down.

Also, remember that the road is closed during winter, winter meaning anything from September to May.