NP in linguistics means noun phrase. The basic structure of a sentence may be symbolized in the phrase structure rule S -> NP VP, where VP is the verb phrase (sometimes called predicate). An NP may contain other NPs, e.g. "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" is an NP (it can be used wherever "the man" is) containing a relative clause, which is itself a sentence with three NPs: subject "who", object "his wife", and "a hat" within the prepositional phrase "for a hat". Likewise "The Man with the Golden Gun" is an NP containing a subordinate NP "the golden gun". It need not contain a noun, but may be a pronoun instead, since this functions the same way in the syntax.

Np is the symbol for the element neptunium.

Also, Np is the symbol for the neper, a newly-invented (1998) SI unit for logarithmic quantities. A neper (named after John Neper or Napier) is dimensionally equal to one, and is such that e.g. 43 Np is e times larger than 42 Np.

NP or N.P. = (1) New Providence, (2) Notary Public.

n.p. or N.P. = "no place", referring to title pages of books, as n.d. for "no date".

np or n.p. = naya paisa, plural naye paise, formerly the 100th part of a rupee.

.np is the Internet top level domain for Nepal.