A bar in Stepney that one could enter without fear of death or mutilation?? Never!

Soma in Stepney was a remarkable piece of jungle-entrepeneurship: a bar in the heart of the eastest East End, across the street from Stepney Green tube station, which is one of the most deprived areas of London and not particularly known for its good bars.

Or Pubs.

Or shops.

I'm sure you know what I mean: think a mixture between Mad Max III, Dakha and an american trailer trash park.

Soma dared to invade this area and showcase the other London, that of cool bars, good music and safe, stress free partying.

Entering the bar, you first noticed the extremely good music pumping out of the speakers: good house spinners alternated at the tables with guest DJ's, always serving a good portion of funk, old school, R&B and reggae.

The drinks matched the music: a set of good cocktails and a list of impressive beers on tap (Hoegaarden, Red Stripe, Loewenbraeu and Guiness) were enough to keep you happy for a couple of hours.

Interieur was simple with a couple of extremely comfortable old sofas and some plain wooden tables. Service was young and friendly and pretty clued up.

All in it was a pleasureable experience, a beacon right from the 21. century in an area where darkness still prevails. Unfortunately it burned down in 2008.