Fried Rice à la Ichiro2k3

I present to you my fried rice recipe. Personally, I think it's pretty good. Remember, though: The most important thing is to be creative! Don't like an ingredient? Take it out! Don't have one? You can substitute it! In particular, you won't have many problems substituting dried spices for fresh ones. The world would be boring without variety, yes? That said, let's start out with the ingredients. For the most part, these are things you'll find in your kitchen. Sorry these measurements aren't precise, because I don't really measure when I cook. Find the amounts you like.

  • ~4 cups cooked leftover rice (it can be fresh too, but leftover is better)
  • 3 scallions
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • Cilantro—The restaurant's secret for that je ne sais quoi
  • Canola oil
  • Shoyu, also known as Japanese soy sauce (I like Kikkoman the best)
  • 3 eggs
  • (Optional) Meat of your choosing (I like crabmeat, but use what you have)

    The fun part: The recipe

    1. Before you start, peel the garlic cloves and such, and mince them (or use a garlic press). Chop the scallions, but discard the floppy green part (Wasteful, perhaps, but no one likes that part; trust me). You don't want to burn your eggs preparing the flipping garlic and scallions, do you?
    2. Get a large frying pan. Put a generous helping (maybe a quarter-cup?) of canola oil in there, and heat the pan on high. Also put a drop of water in there (keep it away from the oil). When the water sizzles, your oil will be hot enough.
    3. Put the eggs in. Scramble them (Just break the yolks with a spatula; don't get too anal about it). They ought to fry quickly. Break them into small pieces.
    4. Add more oil (a lot of it will have cooked into your eggs). Put the scallions and garlic into the oil. Allow them to cook for a while; this will spread them throughout the dish via their oils. Not too long, though, because the eggs will burn eventually. Also, if you have meat you want to add, especially if it isn't already cooked, now is the time.
    5. Add the rice. Break it up, as it will certainly stick. Put in a generous helping of soy sauce (Always remember you can always add more but can never take away any, although much of the saltiness will cook out). You might want to add a bit more oil. Now stir everything with your spatula, spreading evenly the soy, scallions, garlic, and meaty bits. If you put in enough soy, the rice should take on a light brown color. Continue tending to the rice so it is evenly heated. This shouldn't take much more than, oh, eight minutes.
    6. Taste it. You'll have to use your discretion to figure out what it needs here, but if you think the flavor's a little weak, I recommend adding more soy.
    7. At this point, if you're satisfied, strain any excess oil, and serve. Be adventurous; try eating it with chopsticks.