"The Corinthian is not the most social of nightmares."
--Morpheus, the Dream King

A character in Neil Gaiman's exceptional series The Sandman, the Corinthian is human in appearance, except for one detail: he's got a small, carnivorous mouth in each of his eye sockets. Each mouth can still see, but can also eat and speak. To hide this disturbing trait from mortals, he wears sunglasses unless he's actively using his "eyes" to eat.

Dream created him to serve as

"...the darkness, and the fear of darkness, in every human heart. A black mirror made to reflect everything about itself humanity will not confront."
But he escapes the realm of Dreams while the Dream King is imprisoned, and upon Morpheus' return to the Dreaming, his absence is discovered. He has gone to the mortal plane, to play among the mortals, and for forty years, killed people with the same modus operandi:
He cuts out their eyes while they still live, and consumes their eyes, devouring them in his own ravenous sockets.

Needless to say, this does not sit well with Morpheus.

The bulk of Gaiman's storytelling regarding the Corinthian appears in The Doll's House, Sandman trade paperback #2. He does make a "special guest" appearance in The Kindly Ones as well, but he's not quite himself.


I still get nightmares about this guy... but then I guess that's his job.