Hard data:

1990 science fiction/action film.
Director: Paul Verhoeven
Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rachel Ticotin, Sharon Stone, Ronny Cox and Michael Ironside.
Based on the short story We'll Remember It For You Wholesale by Philip K. Dick.

Overview:

It's the near-distant future. Humans have colonized Mars, Venus and Saturn. The political situation on Earth is still tense, and Earth is dependant on the sale of vital metals from Mars. Enter Douglas Quaid (Schwarzenegger). Quaid is a decent sort of guy. He has a construction job, a beautiful wife (if you like Sharon Stone; I never could stand her), and a suspiciously nice apartment. The really odd thing about him, though, is his strange fascination with the planet Mars. He has a strange subconscious urge to go there, but he can't convince his wife to come along, so he decides to do the next best thing and go to a company called Rekall, which will artificially implant the memories of a trip to Mars in his mind for him.

This doesn't work out very well. Quaid ends up having a psychotic episode while the memories are being implanted, and is eventually dumped by the nervous doctors at Rekall not too far from his home. Through various strange events, Quaid learns that he is in fact a secret agent for the oppressive Martian government, who has decided to go over to the Resistance. A number of Matrix-esque mindfucks ensue, leading to a reasonably satisfying conclusion.

A sequel was in the works, due out in 2001 and directed by Jonathan Frakes (William Riker of Star Trek: The Next Generation), but it never materialized.