A manual, but not in the hard-drive manual sense. In the construction sense. I have stacks of these O/M Manuals on my desk. An O/M manual is a book provided to the owner (in my case, The U of M) of the construction project in question. These manuals range in size from a few pages for a small project to eight (or more, of course) three inch binders for a large building. Most projects have one or two large binders, containing manuals within them for mechanical equipment like air conditioners, cooling plants, heating plants, counter-tops, paint, doorknobs, etc. and electrical equipment like switching units, wiring diagrams for various equipment, specifications for the electrical distribution, etc. Basically, every manual that might ever be needed by maintanance personnel, and lots of stuff that won't ever be needed, like structural steel shop drawings.

Also included often are warranties, construction correspondance (such as change orders, addenda, requests for proposals, things like that.), and various other information related to the construction or modification of the building.

As with anything, some are done better than others. Some architects will choose to send us (the records department at the U of MN) one drawing at a time, which often leads to a stack of 100 different items to be arranged, entered and filed according to CSI numbers, which is a lot of work. Others will be sure to include this in the O/M manual, which leaves one item to arrange, enter and file. Poorly made O/M manuals and stacks of shop drawings lead to employee noding rather than working.