I just saw a show on TLC about hypnosis and thought it was very interesting. Part of the show discussed the usefullness of hypnosis as a form of pain control, and even emergency medical treatment. One woman in the show, through the power of suggestion, was able to endure an entire surgical procedure (I'm not sure what the surgery was exactly but it looked complicated, might have been knee surgery) without any form of anesthetic. She was completely conscious through the whole thing and her facial expression was very calm.

There was also mention of hypnosis for emergency medical treatment, especially for burns. It suggests that a badly burned person could be given suggestions by a hypnotist on his/her way to other emergency treatments. Since a person who has experienced an intense trauma is already in a semi-hypnotized state these suggestions are made fairly easily. The results of the suggestion are quite remarkable. The patient has a much higher probability of not going into shock (because they are calmed by the hypnosis) and they actually feel much less pain than expected in their condition. The hypnosis also produces some more physical effects; there is a dramatic reduction in the ammount of swelling and tissue damage of the burn victim.


While treatments like hypnosis aren't really taken seriously in the West, I hope that with more cases like this, where hypnosis produces obvious and extroardinary results, it will catch on and gain more credit.