In 1999, Yellow Submarine was re-released. It could be seen in select theatres, and was subsequently released on both VHS and DVD. To accompany this, a new version of the album was cooked up. Since the CD format allowed for more songs to be on a single album, there was room for far more Beatles songs from the movie on the album. Rather than include the instrumental tracks by George Martin, the decision was made to release the songs from the movie that were by The Beatles themselves. Eleanor Rigby, for example is in the film, but not on the original soundtrack.

Most of the songs used in the movie, but not the original soundtrack, are off of Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Track Listing:

  1. Yellow Submarine
  2. Hey Bulldog
  3. Eleanor Rigby
  4. Love You To
  5. All Together Now
  6. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
  7. Think for Yourself
  8. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
  9. With a Little Help from My Friends
  10. Baby You're a Rich Man
  11. Only a Northern Song
  12. All You Need Is Love
  13. When I'm Sixty-Four
  14. Nowhere Man
  15. It's All Too Much

And, considering that I was born 16 years after the original release of the movie, it was quite a thrill for me to be able to see it on the big screen. I wish that they had done that with the re-release of A Hard Day's Night. Oh, well. Maybe they will when they re-release the Let it Be film.

The movie itself was changed slightly as well. Originally, American audiences weren't shown the musical sequence for Hey Bulldog. This was included on the re-release. The movie was remastered as well, allowing for a clearer piture and better sound quality.

The DVD also included several other special features, including a commentary by the animator and the designer, a behind the scenes feature, theatrical trailers, the original pencil drawings, and a photo gallery.




Partial Credits (from IMDB):

Director: George Dunning
Producer: Al Brodax
Animation Director: Robert Balser
Writers: Al Brodax, Lee Minoff

Cast:
Paul Angelis - Chief Blue Meanie; Ringo
John Clive - John
Dick Emery - Jeremy Hilary Boob, Ph.D (Nowhere Man); Lord Mayor; Max
Geoffrey Hughes - Paul
Lance Percival - Young/Old Fred
Peter Batten - George (uncredited)