Today (February, 20th 2001) marks the opening of George W. Bush's solution to tackling social issues, The Office of Faith Based and Community Initatives. This office will provide federal funding to religious organizations for programs concerning such issues as literacy, substance abuse and sexual abstinence.

This new office has been the subject of much controversy. When George W. Bush signed the office into existence, leaders from the Christian, Jewish and Islamic communities were present, however, many people feel that paints a rather inaccurate portrait of religion in America.
No one debates that these faiths represent the majority of Americans, but to millions of Americans who do not fit into these groups the outlook is bleak. Geroge W. Bush has been quite vocal about which groups he considers to be valid faiths, particularly against Wiccans and Scientologists.

Even within the Office, schisms have already formed. The Jewish anti-defamation league has already made motions to prevent any federal funding to The Nation of Islam, whose leader Louis Farrakhan has a history of antisemitism. Also, the question unasked by the media, seems to be how the atheist community is to access aid, without having to be subject to the teachings of faith based groups that they may find objectionable.

In a ruling over draft exemptions The Supreme Court defined religion as "a sincere and meaningful belief occupying in the life of its possessor a place parallel to that filled by God of those admittedly qualified for exemption". This is a rather vague view of religion that doesn't seem to match that of the Bush presidency. Bush has also stated that the government would do nothing to hinder the teaching of a faith in the process of these community services. It seems that millions of Americans without religion, or who belong to faiths which lack significant representation or oranization to form programs of their own are going to be left high and dry. It remains to be seen, however, how this Office will impact the funding on non-faith based charities operating in the US.