"DPS" is an acronym that has a couple of wildly-different meanings.

First, it can stand for "Damage Per Second", which is a measure of a character's offensive capabilities in games such as World of Warcraft. DPS in this case is a measure of damage inflicted over time.

Second, it can stand for "Doctor of Professional Studies".

This type of doctorate is considered to be a terminal professional degree. Within the realm of professional practice doctorates, DPS degrees have been comparatively rare. Pace University awarded the first DPS degree in computing in 1972. Currently, just five institutions in the U.S. offer DPS degree in disciplines such as computing, information management, occupational studies, bioethics, and organizational leadership.  In Europe and Australia, the DPS is a more popular degree, but there is still room for growth.  

The National Science Foundation considers the DPS degree to be a research doctorate equivalent to a Ph.D. degree, but the two are not interchangeable. While a Ph.D. focuses on in-depth study in a single discipline, the DPS is interdisciplinary and focuses on dynamic, complex real-world problems. The DPS best serves learners with professional experiences who can leverage their knowledge in applied research.

 

 

For BrevityQuest14.