"I was always pretty and gorgeous and sexy. But I prefer the way I look now to the way I looked in my 20s. My face is better now. A few lines, but what the hell."-Playboy, December 1983

Joan Collins was born in London to Joe and Elsa Collins on May 23, 1933. Joe Collins was a theatrical agent and Elsa was a dancer, Joan's sister Jackie Collins went on to be a writer. As is common with show business families, Joan was exposed to the industry from an early age. She made her debut at only 9 years old in Henrik Ibsen's A Doll's House.

As an adult she was signed up with the Rank Organisation and so appeared in several films and theatre productions. It was a meeting with Howard Hanks that landed her a role in Land of The Pharaohs. As of now Joan has appeared in over 50 films and dozens of television productions, as well as a fair share of guest appearances: Star Trek, Mission Impossible and Batman being but a few. However her most famous appearance by far is her role as Alexis Carrington Colby in Dynasty, which she played for 8 years. This role won her a Golden Globe for Best Performance by an actress in a Television Drama Series.

Joan has not limited herself to her acting career, she has also produced several miniseries's and published ten books; the first one was her autobiography. In one of her miniseries' (Sins), she made a record 85 costume changes.

I don't need a husband, I need a wife

She has been married five times (Maxwell Reed (1952-57), Anthony Newley (1963-71), Ron Kass (1972-83), Peter Holm (1985-86), Percy Gibson (2002- )). With these husbands has had 3 children (a son (Alexander "Sacha" Newley) and two daughters (Tara Newley and Katyana Kass)). She is committed to charity and is an honourary founder of the NSPCC. She supports other charities and was awarderd with an OBE for this and her contribution to the arts.

Television

Filmography

Books:

Sources:
http://www.joancollins.net
joancollinsshrine.8m.com
http://www.celebritywonder.com
www.eonline.com