An Out of Body Experience.

An Out of Body Experience is where one's conscience leaves the body and observes from the outside, in a non-temporal existence. It is uncommon that this existence experiences anything tangible.

This is a glorious thing! I have been doing it for some six years by now, and have been "out" several hundred times.

Not only can you go anywhere you like in space and time (well, it depends on your skill of course), fly faster than the speed of light, pass through walls or anything (seemingly) solid and speak with the discarnate (deceased) - you can also get into the girls´ locker room undetected! ;-P

Your state of mind is also totally different. When in an OBE I am completely, utterly fearless and confident of myself. I feel like I can get away with anything, and I usually can... It is a feeling of total excitement and an almost child-like joy! When I am in an OBE, I don´t want to go back...

Techniques for achieving this include various trance, meditation and visualization methods. If you are experiencing sleep paralysis, with or without vibrations, this is an excellent springboard for attaining OBEs. May also be reached from lucid dreams.

Although it is not an easy thing to learn, it is highly recommended!

See also Astral projection.

Officer of the British Empire.
One of the honours that can be bestowed on a member of the British Empire,
MBE being one level lower, and CBE being one level higher.

Also short for "Out of the Box Experience/Error". This abbreviation is most commonly found in Macintosh salespeak(as experience) and in computer hardware retail stores(as error).

OBEs can be attained with the aid of the cyclohexamine Ketamine, a dissociative anesthesic, used by veterinarians in animal surgery (as an anesthetic) or restraint (as a tranquilizer). Its clinical use in humans nowadays are more restrict to very young or old people, for it is the most safe of all anesthetics. The reason is that it is the only substance to produce anesthesia without supression of the respiratory and gag (swallowing) reflexes.

A full anesthesic dose on a human will produce loss of consciousness, and a confusing reemergence state, that often would scare or surprise the patients. For that reason, when anesthesia is the goal, it usually is admnistrated together with a benzodiazepine, to nullify the conscious reemergence into the body.

The explorative dosages, be they for recreative use, or aiming OBEs (or OOBEs, same thing, different node), or even NDEs (Near Death Experiences), are indeed much smaller than the anesthesic doses. An OBE can be reached with 1/10 of the amount used for anesthesia.

For more on this intriguing substance, see the chapter about Ketamine on D.M. Turner's Essential Psychedelic Guide.

O"be (?), n.

See Obi.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.