To become a practicing veterinarian in the U.S., you first need to acquire a DVM, or Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine. You must have a Bachelor's degree (or be in your senior year of college) to get into most DVM programs. Although no specific major is required for admission, you must usually fulfill certain requirements, such as eight hours of physics, three of English, etc. (this varies from school to school.) Most successful applicants usually have some extensive experience working with animals in such places as a zoo, a vet's office, or a laboratory. DVM programs usually take four years to complete. After graduation, you must become licensed. Each state has its own exam for licensure, and no residency or specific work experience is required.

There are about 44,000 practicing vets in the U.S. The profession is expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations. Vets work in private clinics, in animal hospitals with other vets, in research laboratories, and for the government.

In the U.S., the following universities have veterinary schools that are accredited by the American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges:

Vet`er*i*na"ri*an (?), n. [L. veterinarius. See Veterinary.]

One skilled in the diseases of cattle or domestic animals; a veterinary surgeon.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.