The stuff that makes up your computer and all it's pieces and parts. Includes things like your keyboard, your hard drive, and your modem. Usually made up of circut boards and wires.

An older forgotten meaning refers to things like hammers, 2x4's, and power tools as hardware. This is the stuff men buy in the Sears Craftsman department so that they can go home and fix things, build things, or break things they were trying to fix.

Silicon, precious metals, and a plethora of other materials that go into the production of an electronic device (ie: computer, television set, audio equipment, and pacemaker).

1. Firearms; knives, razors, etc.; weapons in general. 2. Burglar's tools. 3. All hard alcoholic beverages.

- american underworld dictionary - 1950
Hardware is the various screws and nuts that hold the parts of a skateboard together. In your standard hardware package you receive eight screws and nuts for mounting two trucks to one deck. Some hardware packages have neat features, like Lucky hardware, which has a green screw used to distinguish nose from tail. Most are 1" phillips head type screws.

The most popular manufactures of hardware are Pig, Shorty's, and Destructo.

Hard"ware` (?), n.

Ware made of metal, as cutlery, kitchen utensils, and the like; ironmongery.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.