1961 film, written by Arthur Miller (yes, that Arthur Miller), directed by John Huston, and starring Marilyn Monroe, Clark Gable, and Montgomery Clift.

Set in Reno, Nevada, the ubiquity of divorce is a strong theme in the early scenes. Monroe plays a woman (Roslyn Taber) who has come to Reno for a divorce, and stays to get her head together. (Miller and Monroe divorced in 1960. I have to wonder whether he had Marilyn in mind when he wrote the play; her character is, in some ways, contemptibly spoiled and impractical.) Gable plays Gay Langland, a sometime-cowboy, with whom Roslyn falls in love. In one sense, the "misfits" of the title are a small herd of wild mustangs. In a more forgiving era, they might have been captured for breeding and show; now, they're destined to become dog food. The "misfits" might also be Roslyn, Gay, and his friends.

This was the last film for both Monroe and Gable; a heart attack killed Gable in November of 1960, between production and release, and Marilyn overdosed in '62. Clift was homosexual, and also had a drug problem. The loveworn, hard-drinking, conflicted characters of The Misfits are eerily similar to the actors who portrayed them; perhaps the cast are the misfits who really deserve our sympathy.