Dynamo Open Air (DOA) is an annual music festival in the Netherlands. Every year thousands of heavy metal fans come to the festival site to enjoy the music and atmosphere.
The first Dynamo Open Air festival took place in 1986, but it actually started on November 28, 1981, when one of the smallest clubs in Eindhoven, Dynamo, was opened. 300 people were there, and it was sold out. Raven were the first band to ever perform in the club.
In 1986, on the fifth anniversary, they built a stage on the carpark next to the club, invited a few bands, and the first edition of the festival was born. About 7000 people were there the first time.
In the years that followed, the festival became bigger and bigger. For the third DOA, they moved to the local iceskating-rink, because the carpark proved too small.
Through the years, the festival also grew in days. It started as a one-day event, but grew out to become a three-day festival, with over 110.000 visitors in 1995. The traffic jams leading to the festival in 1994 and 1995 are still legendary, and the Dutch authorities was not very pleased by them. In the years that followed, there was a capacity limit of 60.000 people. Having moved locations several times (but still in, or around Eindhoven) during the years, DOA 2000 was the first time the festival was organised in a different city. This was because a suited location couldn't be found near Eindhoven. The city of Nijmegen was friendly enough to let DOA take place in their Goffertpark, but unfortunately it was only one day. For DOA 2001 the organisation hopes to make it 3 days again.

Some of the bands that played at DOA over the years are Agnostic Front, Annihilator, Anthrax, Apocalyptica, Biohazard, Blind Guardian, Cathedral, Clawfinger, Cradle Of Filth, Danzig, Death, Deftones, De Heideroosjes, Dimmu Borgir, Dog Eat Dog, Downset, Dubwar, Entombed, Fates Warning, Fear Factory, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall, Helloween, Helmet, Immortal, Insane Clown Posse, Iron Maiden, Korn, Kreator, Life Of Agony, Limp Bizkit, Machine Head, Madball, Manowar, Mayhem, Mercyful Fate, Metallica, Millencolin, Misfits, Monster Magnet, Nailbomb, No Fun At All, Obituary, Osdorp Posse, Pantera, Pennywise, Primus, Rammstein, Rollins Band, Satanic Surfers, Saxon, Sepultura, Sick Of It All, Slayer, Slipknot, Soulfly, Suicidal Tendencies, Testament, The Gathering, Tiamat, Type O Negative, Urban Dance Squad, Venom, Voivod and Within Temptation.
And lots more actually

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.