TV series on Fox starring Andy Richter, who plays a technical writer coincidentally also named Andy Richter. First aired (or, in my case, cabled) in the US in winter of 2002, and seems to be off the air (resp. cable) now.

The show's title refers to the fact that the audience gets to experience on-screen Andy's internal monologue, which routinely branches off into wishful thinking, what ifs, and all sorts of other alternate reality scenarios. In that respect it is quite similar to "Ally McBeal". But whereas "Ally McBeal" is still partly about a specific occupation and incorporates the familiar lawyer stereotypes (also seen in David E. Kelley's other lawyer shows), ARCTU is set in the more or less nondescript corporate world familiar from Dilbert.

Also, ARCTU is specifically about the character Andy Richter, which means we get to hear his internal monologue as voice-over narration. In that respect the show is similar to Scrubs on NBC, with which it also shares the quirky humor and the use of alternate reality scenes.

So why did Scrubs, which started around the same time ARCTU did, survive but ARCTU didn't? My short answer would be John C. McGinley. Unlike Scrubs or Ally McBeal, ARCTU lacked a convincing supporting cast. Let's face it: Andy Richter was decent, but he wasn't the world's most talented comedic actor. I guess the same could be said about Jerry Seinfeld. But Seinfeld had very strong leading and supporting actors. Andy didn't.

For the long answer, one would probably have to think like a network executive, which I for one am not prepared to go near.