Seventh-Day Adventist Beliefs: The Creation

God is the Creator of all things, and has revealed in Scripture the authentic account of His creative activity. In six days the Lord made "the heaven and the earth" and all living things upon the earth, and rested on the seventh day of that first week. Thus He established the Sabbath as a perpetual memorial of His completed creative work. The first man and woman were made in the image of God as the crowning work of Creation, given dominion over the world, and charged with responsibility to care for it. When the world was finished, it was "very good", declaring the glory of God.

--Fundamental Beliefs, 6

Previous: God the Holy Spirit
Next: The Nature of Man


Muke says:

Yes, that's right, I think that in six days God created "heaven, the earth, the sea, and all that in them is". That doesn't mean I don't believe in evolution, although it does mean I don't believe in the related idea of common descent.

I know the universe has been dated as being considerably more than a mere six thousand years old. Rather than call into question the dating methods (from experience I have seen alarmingly few results from doing so) I generally think straightforwardly about it: God most likely created Adam as a full-grown man; what prevents Him from having created our universe as a full-grown universe? A real scientist probably wouldn't be satisfied with my idea but it works for me.