The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 was sold in 1991 and 1992. 2000 were imported into the US in 1991, and only 1000 made it stateside in 1992.

The Galant VR-4 was a performance version of the standard Galant. It was built the same time as Mitsubishi's 3000GT VR-4. The two cars share many traits. Both vehicles come equipped with all-wheel drive, all wheel steering, and both were turbocharged and intercooled.

One large difference between the two is that even though it is a formidable car, the Galant VR-4 still looks like just another 4-door sedan. It makes for quite a sleeper. Some VR-4's have been modified to produce over 400 horsepower, with quarter-mile runs under 11 seconds! It's handling is also quite good, and the car has won several WRC races.

Engine: 4G63T
The VR-4 came with the same engine found in the Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: a 16-valve, double overhead-cam 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine. It produced 195 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 203 ft. lbs. of torque at 3,000 rpm.

Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
The VR-4 Had an all-wheel drive system that, under slippage, directed power to the axle with the most grip.

Steering:The VR-4 got Mitsubishi's four-wheel steering system, which is activated at speeds above 31 mph. Once engaged, the four-wheel steering system directs the rear wheels to turn up to 1.5 degrees in the same direction as the front wheels.

Suspension: The Galant VR-4 got a MacPherson strut design with coil springs and concentric shock absorbers up front. An independent double-wishbone system is in place in the rear. It is also equipped with front and rear stabilizer bars to minimize body roll.

Brakes: 4 Wheel anti-lock brakes. The VR-4 got essentially the same brakes as it's bigger brother, the 3000GT SL.

As an owner of a 3000GT SL, I can say I would love to own this underrated machine. Lightweight, with potential to make good power, this car could outrun anything in its immediate price range.