Pavlov's work with his dogs was a pivotal study in to psychology, with conclusions that can still be applied to today’s world. However what is not often recognised is the way in which the study was conducted.

The key to these series of experiments is the measurable quality of saliva production; the more accurately you can do this, the more representative your end data will be.

So how do you do this? Do you try to mop up saliva with a cloth; unfortunately this would add a series of new problems so the simple solution is to pipe it straight out. This is exactly what Pavlov did (and this is the not widely known part); he drilled holes in the rear part of the dogs mouth floor, just inside of the lower jaw.

Tubes would then be fixed to the dog, with the end actually resting under the dogs tongue. The saliva would then simply be siphoned of and collected in jars.

This raises an interesting ethical discussion. How far should scientists be allowed to go in the cause of science? These experiments would obviously not happen today as it would be seen as cruel and barbaric, but the positive results from the work is clear to all.

There should be a balance struck between science and the ‘people’ i.e. commonly accepted ethics. The problem is the boundaries of both sides keep changing. How will the future shape this balance?