In recent years, the term "going postal" has come to mean going into your place of work and killing your co-workers. It doesn't matter what line of work it's in, the names the same. People don't "go clerical", or "go educational" they "go postal".

Its even become a joke of sorts. Dennis Leary has joked about what he'd do to prevent such things if he was a supervisor at the Post Office. But real people died. The following murders are to blame for this reputation for violence that the postal workers of America have been painted with.

Curtis Collins in 1980, Perry Smith in 1983, and Thomas McIlvane in 1993, all tried to solve their problems by shooting their supervisor.

In 1991, Joseph Harris killed his supervisor in her home, then went to work and shot his co-workers.

In 1986, Patrick Sherrell killed fourteen and injured seven in response to a terrible performance review.

In 1986 Dominic Lupoli and Warren Murphy each went berserk when they were rejected by a female co-worker. Mark Richard did the same in 1993.

No one knows why John Taylor did what he did. He seemed happily married, well liked, and was an excellent employee, but in 1989 he shot his wife and then went to work and killed two of his friends and then himself. The only explanation authorities found was a note from Taylor saying he did "what he had to do."

In May 1993, there were two post office killings in one day. Larry Jasion, angry that he was passed over for promotion opened fire at a Post Office in Michigan. Four hours later, in California, Mark Richard returned to a Post Office that he had been fired from for stalking a female co-worker and started shooting.