There are many great writeups on E2 about statistics, and I won't reiterate all that information. I'm only here to repeat the theme, so you all don't forget it: STATISTICS ARE LIES. ALL OF THEM.

Anything posing as a fact that has a percentage of people in it is a lie. They interviewed twenty rednecks to come up with that number, which supposedly represents the entire country. Anything posing as fact that attempts to catalog the opinions of large groups of people is a lie. Neither you nor I have an opinion that can be accurately stated in multiple-choice; not that they interviewed you or I to get that statistic.

Don't believe anything they say about mass marketing, customer demographics, trends, political opinions, ANYTHING. Those are companies talking, and they're either SELLING that information for money or flat-out producing it for money. Those are the demographics, trends, and opinions (of politicians, not people) that they want you to have. It's all lies. All of it. And they'll do anything to make it sound like facts, since people are so thirsty for facts lately.

An example: Detroit city is now officially recorded with the Census Bureau as having less than 1 million citizens, for the first time in a long time. In the address list the C.B. gave to the City, they showed ONE ADDRESS for Harbor Town, an area with a known population of over one hundred thousand--more than almost all of the suburbs. Why miss so many in Harbor Town? Oh, well, THEY'RE POOR, that's why.

So just do me that favor: Never ever EVER trust a statistic, especially if the guy telling it to you is obviously a bad guy. My more general rule for myself is never trust the truth coming from an evil person, but you can just stick with avoiding statistics if you don't like dubbing people "Evil"--it doesn't bother me tho!


P.S. Regarding "scientific ideals": If I didn't know science, I wouldn't think statistics were evil, and no, I meant all of them. THE WAY STATISTICS ARE DONE TODAY involves some of the world's most screwed-up science and procedure. Most statistics that are widely disseminated have been so tampered with and seeded that they have a better chance of being dead wrong than they do of being partially right. Go read something about how they get statistics, and then come back and tell me it's at all "scientific". --PD

P.S.S. Just cause I have to: I'll put my cynicism in the way of anything I like, at least until I meet something that can even get through it.