While digging through piles of the Alan Parsons Project's BitTorrent links, I came across a video interview of Mr. Woolfson and Alan Parsons. The interview revolved around some works being produced by Woolfson and Andrew Powell, but Eric started talking about the first commercial success of the APP.

Eric said he was always surprised that Tales of Mystery and Imagination was oft mentioned as one of the first electronic albums. While many believed most of the instrumentation was created using early analog synthesizers, he noted the only electronic sounds were the blowing wind noises made with an old Moog. Everything else was the result of old-fashioned musicians playing traditional instruments.

As for my take on the Alan Parsons Project, I've always loved their instrumentals. Apparently enough people agreed, since they ended up releasing an album of just instrumentals in 1988. Even today, sports fans will recognize a few bars of Turn of a Friendly Card (Ace of Spades), or The Gold Bug.

I have copies (legally purchased -- I did mention BitTorrent earlier, ya know) of every Alan Parsons album. I didn't like Gaudi, but my faves included I, Robot, Eve and Tales of Mystery and Imagination.

I did hear an interview where the folks from Pink Floyd were asked about Alan Parson's work on their Dark Side of the Moon album. They said Alan was just a boardman, and the album would've sounded the same if Margaret Thatcher was running the studio. I'm sure Alan would disagree.